A NUTRITIONAL GUIDE
PRE & POST EXERCISE MEAL RECOMMENDATIONS
In order to achieve maximum results at Fitness Ring, it is very important that you focus on nutrition, as it plays a vital role in your performance, weight loss, muscle building, and overall energy levels.
A FEW THINGS TO CONSIDER
It doesn't matter if you are doing cardio or weights, the important part of a pre exercise meal is getting glucose to the muscles
- You can eat something 2 hours before exercise or right before, depending on the quantity and how comfortable you are digesting the food
- Try to stay hydrated by drinking plenty of fluids throughout the day, as well as during, and after exercise
Foods high in carbohydrates, and low fat are more easily digested, but fatty meals, or snacks, take longer to empty from the stomach, so are best avoided prior to working out.
Your meal should also contain a moderate amount of protein to satisfy hunger.
Top pre-workout snacks:
- A small bowl of cereal, or oatmeal, with milk and a banana
- Wholegrain crackers with cheese and tomato
- Fresh fruits, such as an orange, banana, apple, pear, plum
- ¾ cup of yogurt with a handful of berries
- Half a sandwich, with wholegrain bread, salad, and lean meat
- A smoothie made with milk, and fresh, frozen or canned fruit
- 3 fig cookies
- Low fat muesli bar
- Raw vegetables with hummus
- 1 hard boiled egg
POST WORKOUT MEALS
It’s important to start refueling as soon as possible after exercise, and depending on the time of day, this may be your next meal, or just a suitable snack, to keep you going until it’s time for your main meal. For best results, eat within 30 to 60 minutes after exercise, when muscles are most receptive. During this window, an increase in enzyme activity makes the body more efficient at storing glucose for energy and building protein in fatigued muscles.
* Salmon, Spinach and Sweet Potato
* Tuna in springwater, brown rice, vegetables
* whey protein shake
* chicken breast with mixed vegetables and half baked potato
* Thai beef salad
* pasta with chicken breast and salad
* tortilla with hummus
* lean steak, pumpkin, salad
* protein bar
Please note that the above information is just a guideline and individuals should seek professional and independent advise should they suspect or have experienced any health related problems or food allergy issues. Fitness Ring takes no responsibility for any side effects from the above pre & post workout nutritional guideline recommendations.